- How to calculate the score for Cambridge KET or A2 Key
- A2 Key (KET) and KET for Schools: Marks per Paper
- Cambridge Score Converter for A2 Key (KET)
- Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
- What's the minimum score to pass Cambridge A2 Key (KET)?
- What grades can I obtain in my A2 Key (KET) exam by Cambridge Assessment English?
- Do I need to pass every part to pass the whole A2 test?
- Do I get an A1 certificate if I fail A2 Key (KET)?
- What is the validity of the A1 certificate of achievement when I fail A2 Key (KET)?
- If I obtain a Grade A, do I receive a B1 Preliminary (PET) certificate?
- What percentage do I need to pass the A2 Key (KET) exam?
How to calculate the score for Cambridge KET or A2 Key
The process to calculate the score for the KET or KET for Schools exam is relatively easy.
Here’s how to do it:
- Work out the total marks for each part.
- Convert those marks into the Cambridge Scale Score.
- Calculate the average mark like this: (R + W + L + S) / 4
Now, you may be asking yourself the following questions, to which I’m providing you the answers:
- How do I work out the total marks for each part? Easy peasy. In the next section you have a few tables with the values of every part and question in the test.
- How do I convert marks into the Cambridge Scale Score? Easy. You can use the score converter I’ve created.
A2 Key (KET) and KET for Schools: Marks per Paper
What follows is a break down of every paper’s parts and the number of questions and marks assigned to each item. In the case of Speaking, parts are not assessed individually, so you will see the different criteria for which candidates are awarded marks.
|READING||ITEMS||MARKS PER ITEM|
|WRITING||ITEMS||MARKS PER ITEM|
|LISTENING||ITEMS||MARKS PER ITEM|
|SPEAKING||MAX. POINTS||MARKS PER ITEM|
|Grammar & Vocabulary||5||10|
Cambridge Score Converter for A2 Key (KET)
The following is a Score Converter for Cambridge A2 Key (KET) and A2 Key (KET) for Schools. This converter turns your correct items (or points) into the Cambridge Scale Score. You can choose to make the conversion per part or for the global mark.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
What’s the minimum score to pass Cambridge A2 Key (KET)?
The minimum score to pass A2 Key is 120 in the Cambridge English Scale. The minimum number of correct items/marks to pass each part is:
- Reading: 20 correct items
- Writing: 18 marks
- Listening: 17 correct items
- Speaking: 27 marks
What grades can I obtain in my A2 Key (KET) exam by Cambridge Assessment English?
There are 6 different grades you can obtain after your exam. Here is a table with the grades and other outcomes of your B1 Preliminary exam:
|Grade A||140 – 150||B1|
|Grade B||133 – 139||A2|
|Grade C||120 – 132||A2|
|Level A1||100 – 119||A1|
|Below level A1||82 – 99||–|
|Not reported||0 – 81||–|
And in case you’re wondering what is a pass or a fail and which grade qualifies for a certificate or certificate of achievement, here’s a table to clarify:
|GRADE||PASS OR FAIL?||CERTIFICATE?|
|Below level A1||Fail||No|
Do I need to pass every part to pass the whole A2 test?
No, you don’t. Even if you fail some parts in the A2 Key, you can still pass your test because the average score may be above 120 in the Cambridge English Scale. However, there is a minimum number of correct items/marks that you need to obtain in each part in order to be able to pass:
- Reading: 13 correct items
- Writing: 12 marks
- Listening: 11 correct items
- Speaking: 18 marks
This means that, if you get less that that in one of the parts, you will not be able to pass your KET exam.
Do I get an A1 certificate if I fail A2 Key (KET)?
If you fail your A2 Key test with marks above the minimum mentioned in the previous frequently asked question, you will get a certificate of achievement proving that you performed at an A1 level.
What is the validity of the A1 certificate of achievement when I fail A2 Key (KET)?
It is a valid A1-level certificate of achievement issued by Cambridge Assessment English. However, it is unlikely, given how low a level it is, that this certificate of achievement will be valid or admitted by any organisation.
If I obtain a Grade A, do I receive a B1 Preliminary (PET) certificate?
No, you don’t. If you manage to obtain a Grade A in your A2 Key exam, you will get an A2 Key certificate stating that you performed at a B1 level. Therefore, if you are required a B1 Preliminary certificate specifically by a given organisation, this certificate will not be accepted.
What percentage do I need to pass the A2 Key (KET) exam?
You need around 70% of correct items/marks to pass the Cambridge KET. However, this percentage may be different for some papers (Reading, Writing, etc.). That’s the reason I do not recommend working with percentages any more, as Cambridge Assessment English does not take percentages into account for A2 Key since they introduced the Cambridge English Scale Score in 2015.
Bibliography and resources
- A2 Key Sample Test
- A2 Key for Schools Sample Test
- A2 Key: Sample Statement of Results
- A2 Key: Understanding your Statement of Results
- A2 Key: Converting Practice Test Scores to Cambridge English Scale Scores
- Cambridge English Scale page on Cambridge Assessment English Website
- A2 Key page on Cambridge Assessment English website
- A2 Key Results page on Cambridge Assessment English website